7 Oct 2012

I Believe - Rishi

Rishi Gupta is a member of YRC Yuva
(2009). Participant in Empowerment
through Technology
Workshops (2012)

"I Believe in my Mother"

In my life, first and foremost, I believe in my mother.
I began to believe in her from when I was 7-8 years old. I think that today I am able to accept the happy flow of life because of my anchoring belief in my mother. I know that you want to know why I believe so much in my mother. There’s a reason behind this.

In my childhood, when my father died, my maternal grandfather brought us from Liluah, where we then lived, to his house in Behala Pallysree. From that time onwards, my maternal grandparents used to take care of us while my mother used to work as a domestic help to support our education. From childhood, I was always a very reckless kind. I would do whatever our grandmother forbade us to do.

When I was around 7-8 years old, Ma started living and working in Burrabazar, and myself, my elder brother and grandmother used to stay at home. I was not in the habit of listening to anybody. One day suddenly I had a whim – I wanted to eat babla fruit. I told my brother, “Let’s go pick some babla.” He said, “OK, let’s go.” Then it was exactly 2.30 in the afternoon. I, my brother and my cousin brother made our way to Sharma’s garden in the Airport area. There was a big babla tree beside the pond, with lots of green and red fruit. The green fruit have bitter juice, and aren’t tasty, but the red fruit which appear twisted like spiral jalebis, are sweet to eat. This fruit comes with many thorns also. We stood beneath the tree and brought down the red babla by throwing bricks and broken twigs. Just when we were about to leave from home, my cousin’s foot got stuck in the soft mud of the filled-in pond while he was attempting to pick more fruit. I and my brother succeeded in getting him out, but not before he had lost his new chappals in the mud. We racked our brains and thought of excuses to give when we got home. We went on thinking and in the meantime, it was nearing evening.
We reached home at 5.45pm. As soon as we set foot inside, everyone came running and asked, “Where had you gone in the afternoon?” At first we tried to hide facts, because we knew we would get scolded by my uncle. After all, we'd lost the new chappals! But our uncle didn’t believe the cock-and-bull story we had invented, about being chased by a dog. Finally we had to say that we had gone to Sharma’s garden to pick babla, and my cousin’s chappals had been lost in the mud.

Perhaps you are thinking what all this has to do with my believing in my mother. Here's the rest of the story -
A couple of days after this, I fell very ill. I had no appetite, and no desire to talk to anybody. I only used to rest my forehead on the iron grills barring the window and wait for my mother. I still have a mark here on my forehead where it was constantly rubbing against the grill all those days. People at home tried a lot of treatments on me, but I didn’t get well. After two-three days, when news reached my mother, she left her work in a hurry and came home. She took me to a reputed temple in the neighbourhood.
It was quite an old temple, big, red in colour, with a red light burning on top. There was a big banyan tree inside the temple and nestled against its base was an idol of Ma Kali. The priest was old too, with a long beard and long hair, dressed in saffron robes and with a rudraksh chain round his neck. My mother had known him for a long time, and knew about his ability to do jhaar-phnuk [healing by magical rituals].
My mother took me to this priest one Tuesday at noon. He made me crouch on the floor in front of the goddess. Then he brushed a white cloth all over my body. An ill wind had entered my body, it seemed. He talked to it and made it leave, and gave me sacred water in a bottle to be taken daily. After drinking that water for two-three days, I got well.

Ma used to tell me from childhood that if small boys and girls don’t listen to their parents, they are kidnapped by snatchers. I was taken by a spirit! But because I had faith in my mother, I was able to escape even its clutches! Those of you who are kids, do listen to your parents. Else…

"আমি বিশ্বাস করি আমার মাকে"

আমি আমার জীবনে সবার আগে বিশ্বাস করি আমার মাকে। আমার এই বিশ্বাস শুরু হয় যখন আমার বয়স সাত কি আঠ। মা-এর প্রতি বিশ্বাস যেন আমার একটা খুঁটি, এর ফলে আমি আজ আমার জীবনের সব আনন্দ গ্রহণ করতে পারছি বলে মনে করি। আমি জানি তোমরা জানতে চাও যে কেন আমি আমার মাকে এত বিশ্বাস করে থাকি। সেটার পেছনে একটা ঘটনা আছে।
আমার ছোটবেলায় বাবা মারা যাওয়ায় দাদু আমাদেরকে লিলুয়া থেকে বেহালা পল্লিশ্রি তে নিজের বাড়িতে নিয়ে আসে। ছোটো থেকেই দাদু ও দিদা আমাদের দেখাশোনা করত, আর মা আমাদের পড়াশোনার জন্য বাড়িতে বাড়িতে কাজ করত। আমি সব সময়ই খুব দুঃসাহসী ছিলাম। দিদা যা সব আমাদের বারণ করত, আমি ঠিক সেই জিনিসগুলো করতাম।
যখন আমার বয়েস সাত কি আঠ, তখন মা বড়-বাজারে থেকে কাজ করতে শুরু করে। সেই সময় বাড়িতে আমি আর আমার দাদা ও দিদা থাকতাম। আমি কারোর কথা শুনতাম না। হঠাত এক দিন আমার কি মনে হলো – ইচ্ছে হলো বাবলা খাব। আমি দাদাকে বললাম "চল বাবলা গাছে বাবলা পারব” ও বলল “ঠিক আছে চল”। তখন দুপুর ঠিক ২:৩০ আমি, দাদা আর আমার খুর্তুত ভাই এয়ারপোর্ট চত্তরে শর্মার বাগানে গেলাম। পুকুরের ধরে একটা বড় বাবলা গাছ ছিল, সেখানে সবুজ ও লাল রঙের অনেক বাবলা ছিল। সবুজ বাবলা খেতে কসকসে, খুব একটা ভাল না। কিন্তু লাল বাবলা, যেগুলো দেখতে জিলিপির মত গোল গোল পাকানো, সেগুলো খেতে মিস্টি। বাবলাতে প্রচুর কাঁটাও থাকে। আমরা গাছের নিচে থেকে ইট ও ভাঙ্গা ডাল ছুঁড়ে কিছু লাল রঙের বাবলা পারলাম। বাড়ি আসার ঠিক আগে একটা লাল বাবলা তুলতে গিয়ে আমার ভাই-এর পা বোঁজা পুকুরের নরম মাটি তে আটকে যায়। আমি ও আমার দাদা ওকে টেনে তুলি কিন্তু ওর নতুন হাওয়াই চপ্পল মাটিতে ঢুকে যায়। আমরা সেখানে ভাবতে থাকি বাড়িতে গিয়ে কি বলব। ভাবতে ভাবতে সন্ধ্যা হতে থাকে।
আমাদের বাড়ি ফিরতে ফিরতে 5:৪৫ বেজে যায়। বাড়িতে আসার পর সবাই ছুটে এসে জিজ্ঞাসা করলো "তোরা কোথায় গিয়েছিলি দুপুর বেলায়?” প্রথমে আমরা লুকানোর চেষ্টা করলাম, কারণ আমরা জানতাম কাকা বকবে। নতুন চটি হারিয়ে এসেছি তো! কিন্তু কাকা আমাদের কুকুর তারা করার বানানো গল্প বিশ্বাস করলনা। শেষে বলতেই হলো যে আমরা বাবলা পরতে শর্মার বাগানে গিয়েছিলাম আর তখন ওর চটি নরম মাটিতে ঢুকে গেছে।
তোমরা হয়ত ভাবছ এর সাথে আমার মা এর ওপর বিশ্বাসের কি সম্পর্ক। বলি শোন -
এর এক-দুদিন পর থেকেই হঠাত আমার খুব শরীর খারাপ হয়। আমার কিছু খেতেই ইচ্ছা করতনা, কারুর সাথে কথা বলতে ইচ্ছা করতনা। আমি শুধু জানলার লোহার গ্রিলে মাথা ঠেকিয়ে বসে থাকতাম আর মনে মনে মায়ের আসার অপেক্ষা করতাম। সেই গ্রিলের থেকে আজ অবধি আমার কপালে একটা দাগ আছে। বাড়ির লোক আমাকে নিয়ে অনেক ওষুধ-পত্তর করে ছিল, তাতে আমি ঠিক হইনি। দু তিন দিন পর যখন মায়ের কাছে খবর যায়, তখন মা তাড়াতাড়ি করে কাজ ছেড়ে চলে আসে।
মা আমাকে নিয়ে যায় পাড়ার এক বিশিষ্ট মন্দিরে। মন্দিরটা বেস পুরনো, অনেক বড়, লাল রঙের, ওপরে তারে একটা লাল বাতি জলে। মন্দিরের ভেতর থেকেই একটা বিরাট বট গজিয়েছে, তার গুড়ির গায়েই কালী-মার মূর্তি। মন্দিরের পুজারীটি বয়স্ক, তার লম্বা দাড়ি, বড় চুল, গলায় রুদ্রাক্ষর মালা, পরনে গেরুয়া বস্ত্র। এই পুজারী-দাদুকে মা অনেক দিন ধরে চিনত, এবং জানত দাদু ঝার-ফুঁক করতে পারে।
একটা মঙ্গলবার, বেলা বারোটায় মা আমাকে ওখানে নিয়ে যায়। পুজারী দাদু আমাকে কালী ঠাকুরের সামনে উপুর হয় বসতে বলল, তারপর আমার শরীরের ওপরে একটা সাদা রঙের ঝারণ বোলালো। আমার শরীরে নাকি একটা হাওয়া ঢুকেছিল, উনি তার সাথে কথা বলে সেটাকে তাড়ালেন এবং বোতলে খানিকটা জল দিয়ে আমাকে সেটা খেতে বলেছিলেন। সেই জল দু তিন দিন খাওয়ার পর আমি ঠিক হলাম।
মা আমাকে ছোটবেলা থাকে বলতে থাকত যে ছোট ছেলে-মেয়েরা নিজিদের মা ও বাবার কথা না শুনে চললে তাদের ছেলে ধরা ধরে নিয়ে যায়। আমায় ভূতে ধরে ছিল! কিন্তু মার ওপর বিশ্বাস রাখার ফলে আমি ভুতের হাথ থেকেও বেঁচে ফিরেছিলাম।
তোমরা যারা ছোট, সবাই মা বাবার কথা শুনে চল. নইলে....

1 comment:

You can comment without logging-in, just choose any option from the [Comment as:] list box. Comment in any language - start here